Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Subterranean Horror

Here is another new painting I call "Subterranean Horror".  It's also 16x20" acrylic on canvas.  I've been working on a few horror paintings that I want to have an 80's horror look except without quite so harsh and blown-out lighting.  This is one of them.  Below are a number of photos showing the painting as well as some of the creation process.  These initial steps include an anatomy study, a scan of the raw umber and white underpainting as well as a couple of inkwash studies.  For the inkwash studies I used three colors of ink: black, blue and a sepia mixed with yellow.  My intention was to use this approach to plan the two-lightsource setup with one warm and one cool light.  I'm always playing around with new media and techniques like this and trying to discover new methods for planning my illustrations.







No comments:

Post a Comment